To get to know Kefalonia it is not enough to see its beaches. You have to visit
the places that make it different from the rest of the islands. The natural attractions
created over the years such as Melissani and Drogarati,
the ancient ones left to us by our ancestors such as the Roman villa in Skala, but also
more recent buildings that are part of our cultural heritage such as the Monastery of Agios Gerasimos.
Lighthouse of Agioi Theodoroi
It was created in 1828 by
by the English commander Charles Napier,
rebuilt in 1863
with the union of the Ionian Islands
and once more in 1960, after the
after the devastating earthquake of 1953.
Castle of Assos
In 1593 Ambrose Cornelius Cornelius
decides to transfer the
military administration to the north
side of Kefalonia, more
closer to the sea. The project
was undertaken by Marinos Gentinis
and the construction took three years.
The purpose was to repel
against attacks by the Ottomans
Monastery of Saint Gerasimos
The Monastery of Saint Gerasimos is located
in Omalas, built on the
on the old monastery and the ascension
of the Saint. The skeleton of the Saint.
is kept in the monastery.
The cave of Drogarati is a
a natural sculpture. The stalactites
and stalagmites that decorate it,
give a magnificent picture, while
because of its excellent acoustics
it has become from time to time a place
Cave of Melissani
The cave of Melissani is one of the
one of the most famous in the world,
as the earthquakes that plague
Kefalonia over the centuries
have managed to develop one of the
underground currents that run through it.
The longest stone bridge
in the world (689.9) is located
in Argostoli since 1813. It was built
by the Swiss governor and
engineer of the island
Charles de Beauchet.
The sinkholes got their name
from the geological phenomenon where
water enters a fissure
of the ground and exits through
another. In the case of the
Kefalonia the water crosses the whole island,
starting in the west (Argostoli)
and cutting across to the east (Sami).